Breaking News

A lawyer who sliced ​​the throat of a dog sentenced to one day in prison

A lawyer who slit dog’s throat sentenced to one day in jail

A former Birmingham legal professional who pleaded guilty to home violence and animal cruelty prices for slitting the throat of his family’s Staffordshire terrier, Rufus, used to be sentenced to probation.
But a decide ordered the former attorney to serve one day in prison for violating a sanction towards having contact with his ex-wife.

James Stewart Robinson, 48, was once sentenced to a five-year suspended sentence and three years of supervised probation on the classification C legal cruelty to animals case and a one-year suspended sentence with two-years supervised probation on the misdemeanor domestic violence harassment charge, in accordance to his attorney, John Wiley. The sentences will run concurrently.

The misdemeanor domestic violence charge had been appealed to the circuit court docket from Vestavia Municipal Court.

Robinson was sentenced by retired Clay County Circuit Judge John Rochester, who was specially appointed to hear the case.

Wiley defined a one-day prison sentence Rochester also imposed on Robinson.

A district lawyer from St. Clair County, who additionally had been specially appointed in the case, brought up to Rochester before Friday’s sentencing that Robinson had emailed a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year message to his ex-wife at Christmastime, Wiley stated.


“Not threatening or ugly, in reality just Merry Christmas. But, (his ex-wife) didn’t like him (Robinson) contacting her even in that way, by the DA, and she contacted them about it,” he stated.

Rochester had ordered Robinson at the time of his plea in July to have no contact with his ex-wife, Wiley stated.

“So, after sentencing, he (Rochester) ordered him (Robinson) to serve 24 hours in the detention center as a sanction for violating his preceding order,” he stated.

“We are very completely satisfied to have this unfortunate incident ultimately resolved, and we agree with that the decision reached is a good, truthful and appropriate one,” Wiley mentioned in an e-mail to

One of the district attorneys from St. Clair County who was appointed to the case had now not answered a request for comment before publication of this story.

Robinson had pleaded responsible to one matter of first-degree cruelty to a canine or cat, a type C felony, and one remembers of third-degree home violence.

The domestic violence cost relates to a picture of the canine with the slit throat he texted his now ex-wife and then leaving a voice mail to her pointing out “your day is coming girl,” according to courtroom records.

Robinson has a plea deal that called for probation, but Rochester had ordered probation officers to conduct a pre-sentencing record earlier than he imposed a sentence.

During his plea hearing, Robinson admitted that he “crossed a line” when he killed Rufus he had an addiction to Adderall, which he used to be taking for ADHD.

Rochester had pressed Robinson to say precisely what he had done in killing the dog. Robinson, after a quick pause, responded: “I killed him though slicing his throat.”

Robinson has been on inactive status as a legal professional when you consider that his arrest.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s animal cruelty investigator Dwight Sloan investigated the case.

Robinson also apologized for his actions after he pleaded guilty.

Robinson said he had been a getting better drug addict for almost a decade and had even been assisting different lawyers dealing with drug addictions when in 2009 he developed a dependancy to Adderall.

His wife filed for divorce in early 2012, and he stated he grew to be angry, went weeks without sleeping, and was once on Adderall when he ended up killing Rufus, an American Staffordshire bull terrier. He stated he loves animals and people.

“Rufus was once a very loving dog, and I am horrified that I crossed a line that in no way in a million years I thinking I would cross,” Robinson, who sought treatment, stated at the time of his plea.

Robinson had surrendered to police higher than a week after he used to be charged with cruelty to a dog after a five-month probe that protected dogs' exhumation; and an investigation at a Florida animal forensics lab.

He was suspended on an in-between period basis from the exercise of law.